Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain a positive relationship with clients, architects, engineers and local building officials.
- Understand and promote the project team concept – owner, architect, general contractor, employees, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Identify and expand new customer business through past relationships, direct prospecting, networking and participating with various professional groups.
- Interpret plans and estimate costs and quantities of materials needed.
- Responsible for obtaining all necessary permits and licenses and direct and monitor compliance with building and safety codes and other regulations.
- Manage the planning, scheduling and implementation of the project design.
- Determine the labor requirements and identify general and trade contractors to complete specific components of the project.
- Study building contract documents and negotiate with owners and subcontractors.
- Control preparation of cost estimates and the documentation for contract bids.
- Direct the work of several associates, such as assistant managers, superintendents, engineers and crew supervisors.
- Direct and monitor the progress of construction activities.
- Consult with architects, engineers and other technical workers to make sure that design intentions are met.
- Oversee the performance of all trade contractors to ensure the quality of work and completion on schedule.
- Track and control construction costs to avoid cost overruns.
- Prepare and manage client invoices and subcontract agreements to ensure prompt payments.
- Review submittals and provide to field.
- Enforce the Scherer Construction/OSHA safety standards on site at all times.
- Accountable for the preparation and completion of punch list.
- Available to be “on call” to deal with delays, effects of bad weather, or emergencies at the site.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to lift and move work related items up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to push, pull up, bend at the knees and waist, twist body at waist, raise and hold arms overhead, turn head-neck-shoulders as needed
- Must be able to stand, squat and kneel on hard surfaces
- Must be able to grasp and hold tools and other items with hands
- Job requires occasional travel during the day to attend meetings and visit jobsites
- While on construction sites, all of the normal hazards will prevail, including noise, dust, falling objects and any of the dangers that occur on a construction site
- Occasionally work in outside weather conditions
Job Skills, Knowledge, Training and Experience:
- Substantial construction industry work experience.
- Ability to understand contracts, plans, and specifications and to be knowledgeable about construction methods, materials and regulations.
- Comprehend engineering, architectural and other construction drawings.
- Proficient with computers and software programs for job costing, scheduling, and estimating.
- Ability to be flexible and work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to be decisive and work well under pressure particularly when faced with unexpected occurrences or delays.
- Ability to coordinate several major activities at once and prioritize tasks according to schedule demands.
- Able to analyze and resolve problems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding leadership skills to establish good working relationships with many different people.
- Personal drive, initiative and resourcefulness.
Education and Training Requirements::
- 4 year degree in construction management, construction science or engineering.
- 8 – 10 years construction industry work experience