The Superintendent oversees the daily construction activities at work site, including scheduling of workers, delivery of equipment and materials, and progress of the project. Involves supervising hourly rated worker groups, such as carpenters, laborers and is responsible for the quality, timeliness, and safety of the jobsite. Conducts all business in a professional manner and operates in the best interest of the company at all times to ensure customer satisfaction.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities
- Schedules, co-ordinates and supervises all on site activities.
- Identify and resolve construction site problems.
- Prioritizing tasks to provide for smooth flow of project.
- Organizing, controlling and motivating staff to promote teamwork and good company morale.
- Establish and enforce job discipline.
- Review and approve shop drawings in conjunction with project manager.
- Translate document drawings and specifications into work in place in the field.
- Site and building layout (benchmarks, dimensional controls, etc.)
- Coordinate inspections with authorities having jurisdiction
- Generate “Requests for Information” and communicate to project manager for submission.
- Operate an organized on-site project office including but not limited to up to date contract documents, project filing system and as-built construction documents.
- Maintain project as-built drawings.
- Oversee the quality of construction, worker productivity, and safety.
- Monitor job progress to ensure project schedule
- Ensure on site equipment is maintained in a proper fashion.
- Complete all paperwork in a timely manner and daily log entries completed daily
- Provide concise instructions and appropriate feedback throughout the progress of construction to completion.
- Provide immediate and accurate communication to the Project Manager.
- Enforce the Scherer Construction/OSHA safety standards on site at all times.
- Establish and maintain a positive relationship with many different people, including owners, architects, engineers and local building officials, craft workers.
- Coordinate all site deliveries and storage
- Preparation and completion of punch lists.
- Responsible for maintaining the Company property
- Coordinate all parties responsible for owner occupancy and move in on schedule.
- Self-perform trades if necessary as per project requirements
- Travel required as per project assignments
- Must be able to lift and move work related items up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to push, pull up, bend at the knees and waist, twist body at waist, raise and hold arms overhead, turn head-neck-shoulders as needed
- Must be able to stand, squat and kneel on hard surfaces
- Must be able to grasp and hold tools and other items with hands
- Must be able to work frequently in hot temperatures, loud noises and exhaust fumes
Job Skills, Knowledge, Training and Experience
- Advanced knowledge of construction principles, techniques and procedures.
- Ability to understand architectural plans and specifications.
- Outstanding skills in organizing and evaluating information and problem solving.
- Ability to develop alternate methods of construction in the field producing more timely, higher quality and less costly construction.
- Ability to be flexible and work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality constructions with timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Able to control, lead and supervise personnel.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Maintains a professional appearance at all times
Education and Training Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of five to eight years’ experience in construction industry.
- Valid Driver’s license with clear MVR record